Thursday, January 15, 2009

Fifth Entry: What should society do for "uncivilized cultures"?

Before I try to answer this question, I think I should try to define, or try to find what the meaning of "uncivilized" means. Even before, that, I want to make sure that everyone should respect every culture regardless of how much "civilized" or "uncivilized" it may be, because to me, the fact that one distinct type of culture has been developed and preserved for such a long time is already of great significance and thus deserves respect.

Civilization on Dictionary.com means "an advanced state of human society, in which a high level of culture, science, industry, and government has been reached" or to have "modern comforts and conveniences, as made possible by science and technology." When one takes either one as the definition of the term civilize, one is bound to say that the Sawi culture, then, is definitely not "civilized," because they don't have the greatest scientists and developments; they have no system of government whatsoever. Treachery is ideal!

What should the society do about them, then? Even if their core beliefs are clearly against what most people believe in nowadays... I say that no enforcement is needed or required although I wouldn't oppose gradual change. Personally, I do not believe in treachery or cannibalism, and so I would be happy if those elements of the culture would be eliminated; however, the fact that I do not agree with the certain tenets of the culture does not give me any license to mock or destroy the culture. Thus, we shouldn't destroy the culture altogether. It should be preserved as much as it could be, just like people respect other "normal," and "civilized" culture.

Then, do we just leave them alone? Well, I'm being ambiguous here (as always), I'd say no again. Like I've mentioned earlier, SOME necessary change is inevitable, and vital. But, radical change will induce rebellions and repulsion, and that is not what society wants out of it, of course. Then, how gradual is "gradual change" and how fast is "radical change"? That I don't know again, but I have a few questions.

The two key beliefs that disagree with what most people believe in nowadays are treachery and cannibalism.I have become aware of the fact that the Sawi people were not ORIGINALLY cannibalistic; therefore, it is not their inherent or innate culture that has been with them for centuries. Rather, it was developed or begun to be practiced because of lack of food back in the history. Then, it also shows that they originally did not desire to eat each other up, UNLESS there were drought or food shortage. And now, there isn't. Thus, to me, it sounds logical that they go BACK to their original state on cannibalism - Don't eat people. How to tell them? I'm pretty sure not all Sawi people are aware of what I have just stated, because it has probably been orally passed down onto generations. Thus, translaters will be necessary for this process to be carried out. I believe this issue will be much more easily dealt with than treachery can be.

Now let me think about how to change (not "get rid of") treachery. Honestly, I don't see a solution. Cannibalism, yes it did not originate when this culture was formed and so on and so forth. But treachery, that's the legend! That is what men live for! To trick others! To me and other people who are "civilized," it would sound just as immoral as cannibalism would. However, I think the society should be much more careful about how to approach this one, because treachery is a belief, not what one practices. Beliefs are harder to change, I believe.

My suggestion would be simple; make them imagine how it would feel to realize his best friend for 50 years has just betrayed you for a bag of food. If I were the Sawi, no matter how long I have believed in or been oblivious of that, I would change right away. But that is up to them, and I think this is the maximum degree to which society should show its respect for the Sawi people or other primitive cultures - correct explicitly egregious behavior, tolerate, respect, and take time for the belief system to change.

In dealing with boh issues, I have mentioned one common factor. Education. Education is the answer. In the story, some Sawi people end up going to Universities and receive great education. I believe in the potential of the Sawi people, or just about any primitive tribes. Education will "gradually" lead them towards the better, because humans are bound to act according to what they learned to be socially and morally acceptable, not what they thought might be okay.

1 comment:

African Globe Trotters. said...

Education is the answer! You are so right. Mrs.Mc.