Saturday, January 17, 2009

Ninth Entry: Student-based Question: Does everyone have a specific culture? Define culture!

Yes, I do believe that everyone has a specific culture to which he or she belongs, because everyone likes to be like everyone else. What I mean by that is that people try to mimic others, and to belong to a community where they can feel involved and comfortable.

I define culture to be anything people can agree with regardless of a region. Language, food, manner, respect, clothes, tradition, logic are but a few components of a culture. For example, people agree to speak in one language to more easily communicate with each other. Another example is behavior. In ITGS class, Mrs. Dewey has frequently mentioned that Koreans are one of the only peoples who would be willing to share music and movies for free, probably because they want to belong to a group, unlike people in other countries like the United States who are more individualized. This particular behavior can be called a culture because people in Korea agree to share music and movies without giving anyone any financial burden.

There is no one who disagrees with everything, and that means everyone agrees with something. Therefore, everyone has his or her own specific culture, and that does not have to be just one culture in which one feels completely involved. For instance, I agree with some American culture and some Korean culture, and that does not mean I do not have a culture to which I belong since I’m not completely involved in one. It just means that I often times find myself comfortable being around both cultures. I speak English and Korean. I show more respect to the elderly than I would to people my age, but I also believe no one should be favored or prejudiced because of one’s age. I like to be in groups, but I am individualized as well. Thus, this is what makes every “culture” in which one finds oneself comfortable and involved unique.

No comments: